Vacation work is a great opportunity for emerging professionals to gain experience in the workforce. Many companies offer paid employment opportunities over the holidays to University students. Opportunities are limited, but MPA have compiled a list of 50+ companies offering vacation work, along with 5 tips from our members on how to apply.
Please register with MPA to access list of companies currently recruiting.
Photo Credit: Atlassian Student Careers
Tip 1 – Keep your resume simple and short
- Do include a personal summary that outlines relevant skills that you have acquired and how, especially if you have limited work experience. For example, if you are a committee member for an Islamic Society explain your role and what skills you have developed as a result
- Do NOT include experience from more than a few years ago. Although it’s great that you were class captain in kindergarden, most employers are more interested in your most recent experience
Tip 2 – Use an adaptive cover letter
- Do not use the same cover letter. Research the company and ensure you provide examples of how you demonstrate the key attributes the company is seeking
- If you have limited work experience, do not rule out drawing upon other experiences, such as involvement in a cultural association or sporting club
Tip 3 – Prepare a list of scenarios
- Write a list of various situations that can highlight your experience and skills. Common scenarios are dealing with difficult people, working under pressure, working towards a goal and leading a team
- Use the STAR format to prepare yourself – think of a situation (S), describe the task (T), what actions (A) you took and the end result (R)
Tip 4 – Proof read and rehearse
- Double check that you have put the correct title, position and company. Spell check, especially online application questions. Employees will typically eliminate any applications that have errors.
- Practice answers to common interview questions – why you are applying for the role, what do you know about the company, what are your strengths and weaknesses and what are your career goals.
Tip 5 – Network
- Utilise your network, or search the MPA professionals directory, to find out more about the company, the role and the recruitment process. Insider tips are a great boost for your confidence.
- Don’t be afraid to ask your network about any opportunities – not all jobs are advertised online!
Good luck and keep trying until you succeed.